Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Nail Polish Storage

Before I embarked on adding to my nail polish collection, I Googled how other polish-aholics stored their polishes.

Some used nail polish racks, which hang on walls.  I do not have a lot of room in our apartment, so wall racks are unfortunately out of the question.  Other girls used nail polish display stands, which rest on their desks/make up vanity, but because of the same lack of space reason, I did not get these stands.

The other more popular storage method is the Ikea Helmer, which consists of six drawers on casters.  The Helmer is available at Ikea for $49.99 and it comes in 3 colors:  white, black, and red.  When I went to Ikea last weekend, they did not have the black available, but they had it in silver.

Of course, like all things that I do in my life, I got the Helmer in the nick of time -- five minutes before closing time.  Hubby and I dashed to Ikea, looked up the location of the white Helmer, paid, and lugged the box out of the store (it was heavy).

Assembly took me around 45 minutes (if I let hubby help me, I would have been done much sooner, but I wanted to do it myself).  I struggled with the metal tabs and the screws (which do not fit cleanly into the pre-drilled holes) but I was pretty proud of my work.


The only drawback (in my opinion) is the fact that the drawers have no stoppers, so it looks like this when I pull it out more than halfway:





Of course, when I put the nail polishes in the drawer, the drawer hangs down.



I'm still 50-50 on the fact that it was made of metal -- I thought from the photos on the Internet that it was wood/board/laminate, which might be sturdier (since the polishes could get heavy).  As I said, I was rushing to buy it so I did not really take the time to read the tag, or to check the showroom floor for a sample. 

I still like my Helmer, and I will be using it to store my polishes.  I hope I won't fill the drawers up for a long, long time (read:  I am going on a no-buy for now).

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment